Monday, February 13, 2006

My proposal...

This poem has a small trivia behind it... I do not know if you are curious about it... but let me just tell you because I think that piece of information will add to the experience of the poem.... I had been seeing a girl for quite sometime now... we knew that this was going to last forever... but i guess we never were formal about it...so this one time I thought I shall do something to formalize it and close all my escape routes from the relationship...so I bought her a ring and told her I would propose to her when I meet her next... and we planned to make the proposal at a place called Tank Bund at Hyderabad.... I bought her a very inexpensive ring...which a friend on campus was really looking cheap...I had also promised her a poem which I completely forgot...In the airport lounge I was stuck for an hour thanks to Air Deccan and there I wrote this piece which I thought I would recite to her and give her the ring... we were dining at a restaurant and she read the poem on the laptop... i didn’t have a ring so gave her my gold ring instead... why am I narrating this episode... I do not know... probably because I love her... Probably because I know she will smile warmly after she reads this... and probably because I finally realized that somewhere deep inside me resides a hopeless romantic who just wants to see her stupid smile ear to ear every day of my life.... I love you.... Sorry about the rambling... go ahead and enjoy the poem... if you thought that was cheesy... then please press Alt+F4
When I saw you first
Words failed me
I was muted
Dumbstruck

I held your hand
Voice betrayed me
I lost language
Incoherence

I felt your breath close
It swept me
I was silent again
Surprise

I felt your lips
They filled me
I couldn’t utter those words
Fulfillment

I played with your hair
It tickled me
I tried to say it betwixt my smiles
Happiness

I faced you
Your eyes searched me
I wanted my eyes to speak
Lost

It has been a long journey
There is much more to go
I was silent then
So I shall remain

I know I missed the moments
I know I missed the chance
I know I will miss more
But I can’t free the trance

I know I have no strength
I have no sanity
I know I am overwhelmed
But before I drown myself in your arms
Will You Marry me?